Practical Tips on Crafting a Research Paper Outline on Purdue Owl
The Purdue online writing lab (OWL) is one of the most authoritative writing guides in the world. Students and scholars visit the site for the latest tips and information on how to write in various styles. When you want to write paper, the first thing you should do is to develop a great outline. The outline is like a roadmap that defines or indicates what should be included in the paper.
The following are the steps to be followed in writing –
- Determine the kind of paper you need to write.
Before you get in to Purdue owl guide, it is important to identify and determine the exact type of paper you want to write. The most common types are analytical, expository and argumentative.
- An analytical paper is one which breaks down idea or issue in to the various component parts, and also evaluates that idea or issue, and again presents that evaluation and breakdown to the target audience.
- An expository paper, also referred to as explanatory paper, is one which explains something or some issue to the readers.
- On the other hand, an argumentative paper is one which makes some claim regarding some certain topic and justifies it with some particular evidence. The said claim may be an interpretation, cause and effect statement, an evaluation, policy proposal or opinion. The main goal or objective of argumentative paper is to convince the audience that the claim you make is true and factual, based on the provided evidence.
- Get a sample and have a critical look at it.
Before you begin writing, you should get a sample research paper purdue owl and have a critical look of its title, the introduction, the body paragraph, conclusion and references. This will give you a broad idea of what should be included in the paper. Among the things you will notice is that the length of the paper varies depending on the topic, and word limit if any.
In any case, the paper must be professionally and carefully crafted to give the reader something interesting to learn and reader. Even in the short essays, you should not leave out important content in order to meet the set keyword limit. The balancing of what to include and what to exclude is probably one of the most difficult arts in writing. However, with time, you will realize that writing gets easier, better and more effective as you write more and more papers.